DBS® Wire

DBS® wire is made by stranding wires of one alloy around a core of a different material. The outer stranded wire provides strength while the core material typically offers greater flexibility and conductivity.


Understanding the benefits

When you pair the strength of one alloy with the conductivity of another you get the best of both worlds. Among the benefits of using DBS® wires are high conductivity, solderability, strength, and resistance to stresses in strand and cable applications. When we draw DBS® wire, the pressure causes the core material to integrate with the stranded outer wire, meaning parts of the core material will be exposed. Coated DBS® wires can be used to provide insulation for good biocompatibility.


Typical end uses

Our DBS® wires have helped customers pioneer new advances. We see them used in:

  • Pacemaker leads
  • Electrocautery conductors
  • High frequency conductors
  • Conductors subject to cyclic bending
  • High fatigue conductor applications
  • Applications requiring solderability
  • Applications requiring strength and conductivity


Design specifications

To build a DBS® wire you first select a core material based on your desired properties, then pair it with an outer material.

Core materials

  • Silver electrical conductivity
  • Platinum radiopacity, other imaging contrast, moderate electrical conductivity

Outer wire materials

  • 316LVM
  • 35N LT™ alloy enhanced fatigue life, strength, and corrosion resistance
  • MP35N® alloy high fatigue life, strength, and corrosion resistance
  • FWM™ 1058 alloy high strength and corrosion resistance


Size ranges

DBS® composite wires can be constructed in sizes ranging from 0.025 mm to 3.175 mm [0.001 in to 0.125 in].


Fill ratios

Our core wire sizes allow for adjustments in the final core content between 20% and 25%. This means that if you were to look at a cross-section of a DBS® wire, the core content, for example silver, would be between 20% and 25% of the overall cross-sectional area, with the remaining 75% to 80% being composed of the outer wire material.



Product forms and capabilities

DBS® wires can be put to work in the following product forms or leverage additional processing to adapt to your application.

  • Wire individual segments for flexible simple applications
  • Strands and cables in complex constructions for advanced applications
  • Mechanical assembly of crimps, fittings, and specialized parts
  • Coatings to provide electrical insulation or chemical separation